Experience a Feast for the Senses in Gozo: 6 Must-Try Restaurants for foodies
If you’re looking for a feast for the senses, then Gozo is the perfect destination. With its unspoilt landscapes of turquoise pools, limestone cliffs, red beaches, and green hills, all surrounded by the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean sea, this sister island is a riot of colours that is sure to take your breath away. No wonder it is Malta’s favourite escape, for relaxation and fun.
But Gozo is not just a treat for the eyes; it is also a paradise for foodies, offering sensational cuisine that will tantalize your taste buds like never before. Whether you’re looking for an everyday meal or a fine-dining experience, you’ll never leave Gozo with an empty stomach.
So, if you’re planning a trip to this unique island, make sure you check out these six recommended restaurants as voted by you in this year’s Definitive(ly) Good Guide that are sure to satisfy your hunger and leave you wanting more. Get ready to embark on a culinary journey
- Latini Restaurant – is a family-run Mediterranean restaurant located in the center of Xaghra. It was formerly situated in Marsalforn and was a favourite for ten years before relocating in 2016. Chef Brian Zammit, who has been a chef for 17 years, leads the kitchen, while his wife Victoria heads the front of house, and mother Rita produces in-house desserts. Latini’s cuisine focuses on local fish and pasta dishes executed with a fresh, light touch, and an extended menu of daily specials that draws influences from a wider range of cuisines. The restaurant has a relaxed atmosphere that attracts families, groups, and couples, and the friendly, professional staff are very knowledgeable. The restaurant has just three tables inside, with others placed on the village square, all enjoying a picturesque view of the parish church. Outstanding online reviews keep Latini busy with tourists as well as locals, so advance booking is recommended.
- Country Terrace – is a Mediterranean and Continental style A La Carte dining experience with fresh and fine ingredients. It is located in an idyllic little transformed cottage with panoramic views of the Mgarr Harbor, Fort Chambray, and the three sister islands in the heart of Gozo, Malta’s sister island. This restaurant has won many awards, from the wine selection to the atmosphere to the quality of food. The fresh catch of the day is a meal that keeps a lot of people coming back, Gozitians, and tourists alike. With an extensive range of dishes to choose from and experienced staff to guide you, it’s no surprise that this restaurant is highly recommended.
- The Boathouse – is a converted boathouse located in the beautiful seaside village of Xlendi in Gozo. The restaurant offers the highest and freshest quality ingredients combined with timeless recipes, specializing in the tastiest locally sourced fish and seafood that can be paired with one of their local or internationally sourced wines. They also have a dreamy selection of homemade desserts, including carrot and orange cake served with a gelato scoop. The restaurant is a favorite of many, making it one of the best Gozitan restaurants.
- Al Sale – is a Mediterranean restaurant located in the center of Victory Square in Xagħra. The roomy eatery is the ideal place to enjoy dishes from their extensive menu, including fresh tuna, local Gozitan ravioli, and their popular Crudo Misto. The restaurant’s sweets are all created in-house, and their wine list features over 120 individually chosen brands from around the globe. They also offer a range of liqueurs, some of which are novel new creations from regional producers.
- Ta Tona’ is an unassuming family-run restaurant located 50 meters from Mġarr Harbour in Gozo. It’s an easy walk from the ferry terminal, making it popular with Maltese groups and families, as well as tourist couples. The restaurant has a cozy indoor space (formerly a fisherman’s boathouse) and open-air and part-covered spaces that are comfortable, relaxed, and full of conversation. The menu has something for everyone, including popular meat dishes like Angus steaks and lamb shanks, pasta favourites such as sheep cheese ravioli and linguine nero di seppia, and a few vegetarian options. The fish menu is the star of the show, with platters to share and an impressive tray of locally-caught fresh fish brought to your table. Homely desserts, such as apple crumble, and a menu of whiskeys and grappas are also available.
- Vini e Capricci by Abrahams – Abraham’s entrepreneurial journey began in 1984 with humble beginnings. In 2013, he expanded his business by opening a retail outlet in Xewkija that specialised in gourmet food and beverages under the brand name Vini e Capricci. The concept was inspired by Abraham’s love for fine wines and choice delicacies. Over time, Abraham became a direct importer of a large proportion of the products that the company sells today. In 2018, the Vini e Capricci concept was fully launched, which included exciting additions to the existing areas, such as an extended deli, a butchery, a demonstration kitchen, an in-store cafeteria, and a lounge for the appreciation of digestifs. The inspiration for this concept mainly came from Italy, where Abraham encountered ideas during his travels. He aimed to create a one-stop shop where clients could buy produce and also stay to enjoy the food emporium’s goods.
Prepare to bask in the sunshine with a refreshing Aperol Spritz, marvel at the breathtaking views, and relish in extraordinary dining experiences. Whether you’re a food enthusiast or seeking a delectable meal, these restaurants cater to all palates. Don’t miss the chance to explore Gozo and discover why it’s a food lover’s paradise.
Where is your favourite place to dine out in Gozo?